Sunday, May 26, 2013

Movie Review: The Great Gatsby - 8 Stars


Watched The Great Gatsby with mommy dearest today. I don't know if I was just expecting so much but I was a little disappointed with the plot. I was expecting more twists and turns. It was a bit dragging at the beginning. I know it's their way of trying to build his character but it fell short towards the end. I wanted to know more about him. Or is it just me wanting more Leo?

The story is quite sad. It's very much like Romeo and Juliet but unlike that movie the girl didn't choose him. He lived a very sad life. When he was poor he had no one. And when he became rich, he still had no one. He basically lived his life with the vision that someday he will get to spend it all with Daisy. He already set his mind that it will happen. And when it didn't, well,  it's just heartbreaking. :(

For me, the movie shows that if you believe in something so much. If you want something so bad, you can achieve it. The major word here is "thing". Because no matter how rich you are, no matter how powerful you are, you can't repeat the past.

Another thing that I enjoyed about the movie aside from Leonardo DiCaprio's nervousness in meeting Daisy for the the first time is the feel of the movie. It's flamboyant, extravagant and GLITZY! The director Baz Luhrmann is famous for these type of films. He directed Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatsby has the same feel to it. I actually want to watch it again in 3D.

The fashion is also something that I expected to see. Their gowns, dresses and Tiffany jewelries to be specific are to die for! It makes me want to be a rich girl living in the 1920's. Let me just bring out my sequined dresses and pearls! haha!

There's no question Leonardo DiCaprio is one amazing actor! Carrie Mulligan has never looked better! She looked like she was brought back from the 1920's to play this movie. And I almost didn't recognize Isla Fisher!

I'm a big music fan and I enjoyed the soundtrack quite a bit. I particularly love the scene wherein they crossed the Brooklyn bridge and Jay-Z's H to the Izzo's song played. I also love how they made those modern song sound like 20's music. One of my favorite tracks from the soundtrack is Lana Del Ray's Young and Beautiful. You just know I'll be downloading the soundtrack!


I'm very much interested is reading the book now.

No comments:

Post a Comment